Need some help with new HD and Panther upgrade

John McDaniel johnmcd at one.net
Fri Nov 14 16:27:43 PST 2003

I've got an original 500 Mhz TiBook with a 10 gig hard drive running
Jaguar. The HD is partitioned (one for OS 9.2 and the other for OS X)
because of my previous software needs.

I've got a new 40 gig HD and a Panther box and would like to make the
move to Panther and the new HD is one shot.

I used Carbon Copy Cloner to make a disk image of the OS X partition.
Then I moved the disk image over ethernet to the home iMac. Then I
installed the new hard drive; formatted into a small partition and a
large partition; did a fresh install of Panther on the small partition;
then brought the disk image over ethernet back to the small partition
and used CCC to restore it to the large partition. My plan was to then
update the large partition (now with the restored Jaguar on it) to
Panther and then wipe the small partition, leaving me with a new hard
drive and a Panther update that preserved all of my prefs, etc. from
the original HD.

Well... to make a long story short: it didn't work. I was unable to
start from the large partition under Jaguar even though it showed up as
a choice in the "Startup Disk" panel of the system prefs. Couldn't
invoke it by holding down the <OPTION> key at startup. I even tried to
"bless" the Jaguar partition with some terminal commands from the CCC
website. No go. Then Panther started to act strange and wouldn't
complete its bootup.

I've reinstalled my original HD to get back to some work and send this
email. I'm ready to start over from scratch.

Could someone advise me about the best way to accomplish all of this?
What might I have missed in the CCC prefs that didn't result in a
bootable partition? Can you have two versions of OS X on two different
partitions and boot from either as desired?

Thanks for any help/advice. I've got the whole weekend to do this. HA!
--just got to be up by Monday to get some work done!

PS: what's up with doing fsck -y over and over with no change in the
results? IOW, always getting the same error(s). Is this unfixable?
What's with the over 100 nested folders error?

Regards, j mcd
---
John McDaniel      johnmcd at one.net
---