[Ti] Cannot share internet connection

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Thu Nov 27 02:20:34 PST 2003

Any idea the technicalities behind why doing the Sharing Internet
tab thing, at least in 10.2.6, gets the following unprecise alert?
Including, of course, what if a NATing router were between the
cable modem and one's Mac?  I'd rather not experiment to find
out, if possible.

"In some cases (if you use a cable modem, for example) you might
unintentionally affect the network settings of other ISP customers,
and your ISP might disconnect you to prevent network disruption"

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Steve Wozniak wrote:
 . . .
> >I cannot share the internet connection from the ethernet to others
using airport.
> >My wife have a pb15 550mhz wth airport and can see my network but cannot
> >navigate.
 . . .
> When I check "Allow this computer to create networks" in the Network
Control Panel it adds AirPort menuitem "Create Network...". Intuitively,
this seems like a way to share your internet connection. Others nearby
can connect to this network "Steve's PowerBook Network" for example,
but can't reach the internet. I find this intuitive going back to Remote
Access connections which put both computers on the same network and
internet connection.

> Well, the correct procedure is to use the Sharing System Preference
"Internet" tab. Make sure that you have both Ethernet and AirPort enabled
in the Network System Preference and you'll see how easy it is to share
either way.