[Ti] airport base

Dave Friesen davefriesen at mac.com
Sat Nov 29 08:23:11 PST 2003

On Nov 28, 2003, at 2:46 PM, Silvo Conticello wrote:

> a) is there any specific advantage in using the Apple airport base
> compared to non-Apple ones?

As mentioned, ease of setup. But if you're willing to take that extra
half-step the other routers aren't that much more difficult. Linksys is
very easy. I hear that Belkin is too.

> b) apart from the Apple one, do you suggest any favorite 802.11
> station? (cheaper than Apple)

They are ALL cheaper than the Apple Airport. I believe Belkin is one of
the more Mac friendly. Visit the manufacturers websites and see how
much Mac info there is.

> c) with or without modem? I'm currently using the default cable modem
> by NTL.

While the Apple Airport has a built-in modem if I had to drop back to a
modem I'd be too busy crying to worry about a silly network. And I
cringe trying to remember what it was was like *sharing* a modem
connection.

> d) I remember from old posts that the Ti500 has some issues regarding
> the range. What is the range from the station I should expect using
> the Ti with an airport card? Or it is better to go for a card with an
> external antenna?

Here's one thing to think about. You can get a wireless router AND a
network extender for less than the cost of one Apple Airport. Remember
too that if you are only using B and not G (assuming you are going to
use the internal Airport slot on your 500) you don't need the more
expensive G stuff out there, including the Apple Airport Extreme.