more 10.2.8 and car analogies

Les Posen lesposen at optushome.com.au
Wed Oct 1 22:54:33 PDT 2003

On Thursday, October 2, 2003, at 03:04  AM, PowerBook G4 Titanium List
wrote:

> Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 09:25:53 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Ti] 10.2.8
> From: Shawn King <shawn at yourmaclife.com>

snip, snip...

> You're not really paying attention, are you?

snip....

> Would you buy a car without checking it out? Would you take it in to a
> brake
> shop and get your brakes fixed from a guy you didn't know or trust?
> Would
> you let the teenager down the street rebuild your engine?
>
> Of course not. So why do people do the equivalent with their computers?

snip...

> Shawn King
> On this week's Your Mac Life -
> Adobe & Daystar!
> http://www.yourmaclife.com

Let me throw another analogy at you Shawn, continuing the metaphor of
cars and Apple, which seems so often to be the case (e.g. marketshare,
and in reality w.r.t VW).

If Ford or GM or Mercedes were to recall your car because usage
suggested with certain models, irregular brake wear had led to poor
handling in certain situations, you'd take the car in for free check
and repair. And if your brake system was repaired would you not drive
away from the approved dealership with the mindset that you were now in
a "safe" car?

Is that what happened to people who updated to 10.2.8, whether
experienced or naive users?

To continue the analogy, should they have continued to drive anyway
because their car felt safe to drive without the fix; or if they
decided to get the recall fix done, should they firstly have upped
their life insurance, and get a medical (with an emphasis on reflex
testing) before driving it away from the dealer, because maybe the
approved dealer may have bungled the job?

The counter argument is to cite a brand of car where recalls have ended
up causing more problems than they solve, which kind of reminds me of
another rather large software company, to extend the analogy.

In other words, yes, experienced Mac users have gained the working
knowledge to avoid updates for a few days after release while
monitoring the usual Mac websites, or listening to your good self, as I
do.

And now we will have lots of new Mac users, fresh from the battlefield
of MS, who have learnt a good lesson about the Apple domain. But I
don't think we need to pour scorn on them. As you said the fault lies
principally with Apple, and they need to both do some practical
reparations with a tested updater - I do want my new replacement PB
battery returned to its full 5 hour life (knew I should have taken a
screen shot of it showing 5 hours!), as well as repair their
reputation. Now that's a much harder task, given previous calamities,
such as iTunes updaters!

And what will happen when the 10.2.9 updater is released? Is there a
"Your Mac Life" medal for actions above and beyond the call to Mac duty
for those brave souls willing to install?

Les

Les Posen/MEL					      Webmaster
Lposen (AIM/iChat)				Australian Psychological Society
P.O. Box 1229 						  (Victorian Branch)
St.Kilda South					       Virtual Reality Therapy
Australia 3182	  http://homepage.mac.com/lesposen/iMovieTheater1.html