[Ti] .mac anyone?

Steve Wozniak steve at woz.org
Fri Oct 10 11:52:40 PDT 2003

At 9:41 AM -0700 10/10/03, Hayes-Holgate, Shaun wrote:

>So I just got a new powerbook 15" and am being
> enticed by the .mac offering from Apple.Is this
> an outstanding deal with the web space,disk space
> and other features? Has anyone bought a membership
> and got a lot of use out of it? I could be swayed
> either way.

I have spent a lot of my life helping normal people use computers without becoming technically literate.

Every such student these days I buy a dot-mac account for. There's one primary reason. In iPhoto you select some photos for a website and click "HomePage". You don't have to think beyond that, just type some wording into the final page. It's all created and uploaded without any knowledge on your part about such things. You get a URL to send others.

I don't use the email account much. I don't use the backup or virus parts either. I didn't use the iDisk very much, although it's an easy concept for normal people. But I did get a piece of shareware called FileChute that I use all the time. Let's say that you are sending email to a list of recipients, with a huge attachment, and some of them don't have the bandwidth to get such a surprise. Well, I drag the large file into FileChute and it automatically loads it somewhere on my iDisk and gives me the URL to send out for downloading. I also include the file size in my email so that recipients who don't want large attachments can forego it.

It's the same level of ease that iDVD brought us.
--

Regards,

Steve  (is tv wake zone?)