[Ti] [OT] Safari dies

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Mon Oct 13 09:02:42 PDT 2003

>Use it to open a local html document. If it loads it fine then it
>could be DNS. If you have been
>playing with Panther and rolled back to Jaguar it will kill Safari
>too unless you ditch the
>preferences and reinstall from the most current release for Jaguar.

This is difficult to test (and a reason I don't believe it is DNS),
as when it is working it is working, but it just quits working and
hangs; I can't load any pages or access Safari at all, except Force
Quit.  If it were a DNS problem, I would think that it would fail all
the time, until the DNS was addressed.

Here is a recap of what did and did not work for me, which may help
those with future problems:

resetting safari did not work;

emptying cache did not work;

As suggested on this list, repairing permissions and ditching prefs
did not work;

Preparing for the third suggestion -- reinstall -- I discovered a
folder called safari in the User/Library/Cache folder; ditching that
made all well again, without needing to reinstall the app.

Obviously I am visiting a site that doesn't play well with safari; if
this recurs I will ditch Cache first, to confirm that is the issue,
and hopefully discover what site is causing this.
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com