[Ti] bad luck with power adapter

Justin R. Miller incanus at codesorcery.net
Wed Oct 22 08:38:38 PDT 2003

On Oct 22, 2003, at 11:13 AM, Kynan Shook wrote:

> Move your PowerBook to a different electrical circuit.  You're
> probably on the same circuit as something like a refrigerator (or
> power tools, or anything else that has a very large power draw when it
> first turns on).  What happens is the refrigerator will draw so much
> power that the voltage on the line drops, and then your power adapter
> will shut itself off to prevent damaging the computer.  The best
> solution is to use a different outlet.  Another option is to unplug
> the power adapter from the wall every time it happens to regain the
> power.  Installing a line conditioner or possibly a UPS that will
> boost the voltage to compensate for the refrigerator should also work.
>  If you want to try that, I'd recommend APC as one of the better
> manufacturers; go to www.apcc.com and look for their Line-R
> conditioner.
>
> The sparks are normal; probably just a capacitor or something that
> still has a charge, or at least has a charge relative to whatever
> phase the AC is in at the instant it's plugged in.  They happen on
> pretty much every power adapter I've seen.  It's usually recommended
> that you plug the power adapter into the wall before plugging it into
> the computer, though I've never heard of any damage being done by
> performing those actions in reverse.

Kynan,

I thank you for the information, but I think that in my case it might
again be the actual adapter.  This happened both of the recent times at
work, on a UPS with two Intel boxes and a monitor that are unchanged
throughout the day.  The problem persisted even at home later that day
(again on an UPS) until I wiggled the adapter wire at the computer end
and plugged and unplugged it a couple of times.  Finally the glowing
ring lit up again.

I will try plugging the wall end in first from now on and see if that
makes a difference in the frequency of this happening.  But if I
recall, both times the ring was fine in the morning and then later in
the day I noticed the battery meter ticking and the ring off.

Thanks again.

--Justin