bad luck with power adapter

Robert Raposo rraposo at snet.net
Sat Oct 25 08:20:12 PDT 2003

In August I ordered a new PB G4 1GHz 17" to replace my Pismo (still
going strong running OS X).
On delivery day I set it up only to have no startup tone, no gray
Apple, no whirring HD... Dead!
I calmly checked all connections, removed the battery, re-seated it,
Nada.
The glowing ring on the power adapter was pulsing amber...curious...the
  manual stated it should be amber when charging, but said nothing about
pulsing...
Called Apple Care and went through the procedure; reset Pram, reset
PMU, Zip. They had no comment about the pulsing light.
The solution; bring it to an Apple service center.
At the service center they tell me they have to send it to Apple!!!
(they didn't but that's another story)

The bottom line? Bad AC adapter right out of the box.

The tiny white cord is flimsy, the Adapter itself is poorly balanced
for plugging in a wall socket, the  detachable AC cord is more robust,
but the little white socket protector is waiting to be lost. some
concentric ribs on the plug to the PB would be nice as that slick white
plastic doesn't facilitate easy removal (please don't pull on the cord).

IMHO this is the weakest power adapter Apple has used.