Off Topic: iPod and slot-loading iMac 350mhz

Brian Davis brian at tvc15design.com
Tue Oct 28 11:36:10 PST 2003

I know that this is completely off topic but it's ok because I do own a 12"
PowerBook. I can't seem to find an answer in any iPod forum.

Anyway, I have a wife with an iPod and I also have a slot-loading iMac
without Firewire. My wife is the primary user of the iMac and wants to be
able to use her iPod with it rather than depend on my PowerBook. Providing
that I install Panther, will I be able to use the USB 2.0 iPod cable to
transfer music? I've been told that USB 2.0 is backwards compatible with USB
1.0. I do realize that this, if possible, will be a painfully slow transfer
when compared to Firewire. Has anyone tried this? Am I an idiot for thinking
about running Panther on a 350mhz G3?

thanks,

Brian