[Ti] Everest Laptops

Loren Schooley loren at flash.net
Thu Sep 4 07:59:47 PDT 2003

> On 9/4/03 9:06 AM, "Loren Schooley" <loren at flash.net> wrote:
>
>> Poll: What is the lowest temperature you have ever been able to operate a
>> Ti/Al at? I just can't imagine the HDD working at -32(f).
>
> It doesn't. But the team members warm up the laptops by putting them next to
> their bodies and even *boling* (!) the batteries for longer life!

That's what I had to do in my school days. We didn't have electricity when I
was in high school and we lived up by the Canadian border. I had to hotwire
my AM/FM shortwave radio with a big lantern battery to listen to SFO and the
'niners. The reason I couldn't use the D cells inside the chassis is because
they would freeze and die, so I would run a couple of alligator clipped
wires to the springs and into my bed, covered by 6 or 7 blankets, with me,
the big Ray-0-vac stuffed between my legs or body somehow. I'd fall asleep
listening to the all night trucker station out of Spokane, the battery would
fall away and freeze, that was my off switch and it stayed preserved for
months.

PS; No, my sister was not Loretta Lynn :-)