[Ti] Broken DVD-ROM?

Lisbeth Zachs zachs at swedenmail.com
Thu Sep 11 10:14:33 PDT 2003

tisdagen den 9 september 2003 kl 01.46 skrev Evan Shea:

> Hey everyone.  Okay, this is a vain attempt at finding some hope that
> my DVD drive isn't broken in my Ti500.  Basically, I first noticed
> peculiar behaviour when I restarted my 'book and it ejected the CD.
> Usually the CD will happily stay in the drive.  Now, the drive refuses
> to read a CD at all (it would read CDs somewhat erratically for an
> hour or two, but now I can't get it to do anything).  Is there ANY
> possibility this is simply a software problem?  If it is hardware, I
> imagine I'm going to have to replace the drive.  Has anyone else had
> to do this and could give me a possible price quote/range?
---------------
After resetting PRAM, and all the rest of thoose sort of alternative
software efforts, I would try the _squeeze exercise_. With no CD in the
drive put the thumb approximately where the top center of the
DVD-reader is and your pointing finger on bottom center point and press
together. With some luck it is just your Ti500 getting a bit wiggly by
age and you're be able to adjust it back again. You should hear a small
click noice when the top and bottom part connect again.

Then try and insert a CD slightly from the left side of the drive. If
you're successful remember to allways lift the Ti500 with both hands in
the future and also tighten up the screws at the bottom and under the
keyboard.

If you're still unable to use the drive I don't think it is a very big
jobb to change the drive. I have changed HD in my Ti400 and shouldn't
hesitate to have a go at the DVD-drive also.

Lisbeth in Gothenburg
<http://homepage.mac.com/holisticum/> updat 030828
<http://www.got-a-mac.org> medlemssida för Got-a-Mac (Mug in
Gothenburg) <http://217.215.44.209> temp direct link