[Ti] New 15" 1.25 GHz PowerBook

Benn joverkamp at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 17 16:29:41 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, September 17, 2003, at 03:06  PM, John Griffin wrote:
> Benn typed this message on 9/17/03 2:55 PM:
>> On Wednesday, September 17, 2003, at 09:30  AM, John Griffin wrote:
>>> There are some benchmarks posted already at:
>>>
>>> http://www.barefeats.com/al15.html
>>
>> *phew*
>> smokin' fast
>>
>> Benn
>
> I was going to go for a new 17"er but I see that the L2 RAM has been
> reduced
> from 1M to 512K.
>
> Why?
>
> I don't understand how these new ones with smaller L2 cache can be
> that much
> faster than the 1 Ghz ones - even after factoring in the faster
> processor
> speed. Could these benchmark results be authentic?

Actually, they have MORE L2 Cache...512k up from 256k.  They have NO L3
Cache...the old 17" models had 1MB.
As Rob-ART's analysis says:
"The new 15" (and 17") Aluminum PowerBooks don't seem to suffer from
the missing level 3 cache. The larger on-chip level 2 cache seems to
take care of business. The bumped up clock speed and Radeon 9600
graphics translate into better performance. "
We're talking about a 30% increase in clock speed and a more efficient
processor (7457 instead of a 7455).  I am surprised at how big the
discrepancy is though.  About time Motorola got those chips out.  Good
news for mac portable users.

Benn