[Ti] Nasty habits

b fl1pper at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 20 10:40:25 PDT 2003

<ursus at mac.com> paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>  > My new 12" G4, 640 MB, 867 MHz has the nasty habit of changing
>>  "Internet Connect" and "Network" configs from internal Modem to
>>  BlueTooth at random.
>>
>>  Has anyone experienced this bothersome glitch? Any fixes?
>>
>>  Thanks

>The whole network location switching thing in OS X really sucks!  Someone
>didn't do their homework on this. OS 9 Location manager is something I
>really miss.

I missed a bit of this thread, but I really like the Locations
routine in the Apple menu. For quite some time I was logging into 6
different ISPs, some dsl, some cable, and the remainder, dialup. Each
setting had its own particulars as far as which ports were open on my
Mac, whether web sharing, remote dial-in, etc, was activated, as well
as the usual different passwords,  etc.

Did it take a bit of actual reading and exploring of the user
interface to figure out how simple and powerful it was? Yup. All of
15 minutes, and I had the easiest multi-login, location-based system
ever. I wouldn't go back to OS 9's Location Manager or Users & Groups
if you paid me.

And I hear that under Panther, or a first rev of it, the system will
actually monitor multiple connection schemes (if you have multiple
schemes under one Location set up, say, internal modem, wireless,
dsl, and cable), and choose the fastest connection of the lot. Short
of bona fide 'mind-reading' I fail to see how it could get much
easier than that.

~flipper