[Ti] Undeletable trash

Chris Olson chris at astcomm.net
Sun Sep 21 09:44:55 PDT 2003

On Sunday, September 21, 2003, at 11:19 AM, b wrote:
> Bullshit.
>
> All a new unix user needs to do is type an rm -r and have a <space>
> typo between the '/' (folder symbol) and the name of the folder, and
> what do you think happens?
>
> Wanna try it?
>
> For anyone who is interested, I'll tell you what happens: Your drive
> gets deleted on the fucking spot. I'm no fan of FUD (Fear Uncertainty
> & Doubt), but why tell someone that Unix commands can't really
> backfire when someone isn't well-versed, or at least a fucking precise
> typist.

Notice my instructions:
"Try opening the terminal, cd to where the folder is, do 'ls -la' to
see who owns it and what it's permissions are, change them if necessary
using 'sudo chown' or 'sudo chmod', then delete it with rm -r
<foldername>"

Notice I said cd to the directory where the problem folder is.  This
eliminates typing any paths.  And '/' is not the folder symbol.  It's
the designation for the root of the filesystem, and used as a separator
in the filesystem hierarchy.

I've been administering Unix systems for 24 years, and I have better
things to do than read the self righteous trash quoted above on a
public forum.
--
Chris