[Ti] AirPort range on the new 15"?

Glenn L. Austin glenn at austin-home.com
Sun Sep 21 23:55:15 PDT 2003

on 9/21/2003 10:42 PM, Dennis Fazio at dfz at mac.com wrote:

> --On Monday, September 22, 2003 01:24 PM +0800 Phillip McGree
> <phil at phil.net.au> wrote:
>
>> One option would be to get him onto one of the new model 15" PowerBooks.  I
>> am assuming with the new 15" models that they have the AirPort antenna
>> built into the screen, like with the 12" and 17" models.  Is that correct?
>
> I don't think that information is available yet. Though, since the screen is
> covered with aluminum, building the antenna into it doesn't seem like the
> best idea, but I'm not a radio expert.

Bigger "airport windows" and the fact that the screen itself acts as an
"airport window" will be a distinct improvement.

Also, moving the "airport window" away from a "2.4GHz sink" (ie. the LiIon
battery, which acts as a supressor of 2.4GHz RF) will have a *HUGE* affect
on the range.  That was something that the designers didn't know about until
they had already committed to a case design.

--
Glenn L. Austin <><
Computer Wizard and Race Car Driver