[Ti] Apple defends new PowerBooks' lack of L3 cache

b fl1pper at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 25 18:42:02 PDT 2003

>>>  Internally, Apple has recognized that the lack of an L3 cache may be
>>>  an issue with some buyers. In fact sheets on the new PowerBooks that
>>>  the company provided to sales reps in the field, the issue was
>>>  raised, but Apple defended the omission, calling L3 cache unnecessary.
>>>
>>>  "When performing day-to-day tasks, such as reading email, browing the
>>>  Web, and typing Word documents, an L3 cache does not provide
>>>  significantly improved performance over the already fast PowerPC G4,"
>>>  the company told sales reps

What kills me here, is how does Apple figure that the average G4
PowerBook buyer has priorities along the lines of email, browsing and
typing? Sure, we all do that, but if those were my price-point
objectives I could run a used PB 150 or a Dell, even. Or, am I way
off here? I run Photoshop, VPC, Final Cut Pro, and high-end audio
apps (on location, when biz is good), so I am limited to my own
needs/perspectives... still 2 to 5 grand for a 'web-surfer' seems a
bit decadent somehow.

~flipper