[Ti] pcmcia card causes crashes - any suggestions?

A.J.Bos Arjan.Bos at icu.nl
Tue Sep 30 13:55:20 PDT 2003

On maandag, sep 29, 2003, at 18:11 Europe/Amsterdam, Malcolm Hamilton
wrote:

> Hello all,
> A couple months ago I got a Sandisk pcmcia adapter card, so I can
> download photos into my Ti (400MHz) without having to carry around my
> camera (Canon) and a cable, or a USB card reader.
> Problem is, when I insert this adapter card (with my CompactFlash card
> in in) into the pcmcia slot at the side of my Titanium, the card
> doesn't show up on my desktop.  I do see an icon for it in the bar at
> the top of my screen, but when I try to open it from here, I always
> get the kind of crash that causes the screen to darken slightly, with
> a message in a few different languages telling me to shut off the
> power button.
What you're experiencing here is a so-called kernel panic. When this
happens, it most likely means that some kernel extension isn't playing
nice. A log file is (most likely) written to /Library/Logs/panic.log,
which might tell you more about the kernel extension involved. Don't be
scared by all the strange numbers and characters, just read the
readable bits.

> When I do, and then start up again, there's the photo-card icon on my
> screen - I can now download the photos into iPhoto.
> I've gone back to the store where I bought the adapter from, and they
> said it might be the adapter, so they gave me a new one.  But I'm
> getting the same problem.
It sounds that the driver (kernel extension) isn't quite up to the task
it was designed for. Perhaps the manufacturer has a new driver on its
web site?

> Is this a known issue for Titanium users?  Do I need some software, or
> drivers, or something else?
My guess is that a new driver could solve the problem. You might even
try your luck on Google to get a driver for a similar product from a
different manufacturer.

I had the same kind of problems with my USB2.0 pcmcia card. Luckily
10.2.8 solved that problem for me. And before I upgraded, I manually
removed the 3rd party kernel extensions from my system and rebooted.
This way I hoped not to get into kext-conflicts with the installer. Did
you upgraded to 10.2.8? And did you remove 3rd party extensions? (Just
some random thoughts)

> Any advice would be most appreciated.
> Malcolm

As always, YMMV, use at your own risk, etc.

Kind regards,

Arjan Bos

-- Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a sick mind -- (Terry
Pratchett)