[Ti] Indexing

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Wed Dec 15 05:37:10 PST 2004

At 15:58 +0300 15/12/04, Sambouka wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>There are two features in OS X that I have always wondered its use.
>What does indexing do? does it help with retrieving faster search
>results? if so, why isnt it an automatic feature in OS X.
>
>Another feature is Folder Action, what does this option do? what
>configurations can be done through folder action? does anyone on
>this list use it.

Sam - like you, I am unsure what is the real value of the Indexing option ....

In the dauys of "On Location", the indexing was the means of the fast
searching, but it seems not to be like that in OS X.

  In any case, the whole concept will change with the advent of Tiger,
since it has this Searchlight (Spotlight?) technology (which may also
be an indexing-based system, I do not know)

Trevor