AW: [Ti] High Speed Access via Satellite

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Sat Dec 18 09:28:23 PST 2004

Christoph Hammann typed this message on 12/17/04 11:38 PM:

> Yes, downloads are 80 to 120 kb/sec. Uploads depend on your POTS connection,
> I have ISDN and it's 20 to 30 kb/sec.
> DSL isn't possible in this scenario (because of the glass fibres, though
> there are rumored to be local switches from fibre to copper wire for the
> industry).

The information I got from Lincsat is:

"Download is burstable to 600k but you will get between 800k and up to 1.5M
at times.   Upload speeds are burstable.  The speeds are due to this being a
shared system with other subscribers across the country and sharing the
satellite."

The one thing I don't really like too much is that once you have downloaded
past 160 meg in one day, you get throttled back to V90 speeds, but I do like
the accelerated upload speeds along with the downloads. I expect that there
will be a bit of a lag between the time you start sending to the time the
receiver gets it (like CNN interviews from Iraq), but I will get used to it.

Another thing I expect to happen is that as soon as I sign on the bottom
line, I will be locked in to a 2 year contract. This means that as soon as
the ink dries, you can be sure that there will be an announcement from the
phone company that they will start to upgrade our phone lines so that
extreme DSL speeds can be used in another month or two!

jg