[Ti] best classic os setup

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Mon Feb 16 02:30:25 PST 2004

At 7:38 PM -0800 2/15/04, Da Pen wrote:
>  wife has a ti500 with 256mb ram.  Currently running
>OS 9.1.
>
>I'd like to update the OS 9.1 and also install an OS
>X.? - we need to keep the legacy apps.  What is best
>way to go to run the classic apps?  Should I update
>the 9.1 to 9.2 and also install OS X.?  I haven't used
>OS X.? at all so I don't know anything about it -
>which version is best for this machine?

David - I support the earlier replies to your question.

First, you will need more than 256Mb of RAM.  I had a Ti-500 running
OS X.  I had 512Mb of RAM originally, upgraded then to 1 Gb (about
$80/512Mb chip).  You might want to consider the same upgrade.

When you move to OS X 10.3.2 (Panther) the Install disks will provide
you with the OS 9.2.2.
I think this is essential for running the Classic environment.  I
still run a few programs (chiefly the Online Bible, which has STILL
not been ported to OS X....) in Classic mode, and this is extrememly
well integrated and seamless with OS X.   I also still use Excel 8
(Office 98) rather than Excel X, for ease of use.  Panther even
provides control of Classic from the menu bar.

Moving to OS X involves a learning period.  But once you are up hte
learning curve, the gain in speed, stability and ease of use is
definitely worth it IMHO.

Bets wishes for the change.

regards, Trevor