[Ti] any comments on memtest v2.95, a command line memory testing utility

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Mon Feb 16 12:38:35 PST 2004

I'd say it looks worse than many software tests, simply because it can
only run while the OS is running, requiring at least 100 MB of RAM to
never be tested, by the porter's own admission.  If it's written well,
then you can believe any failures it may indicate.  But it will still
probably only catch about 5% or less of bad RAM.  Also, I don't like
the idea of writing random values to RAM as one of its tests; unless it
always uses the same seed value, this means the test is not repeatable,
which is A Bad Thing.  If it does use the seed value, well, then it's
not writing random values to memory, now is it?
I stand by my statement that there is no (and, for that matter, never
will be) a good software memory test.  The inherent problems are that
the operation of the test requires some of the memory to run itself,
and that many aspects of the test are not controlled by the test
program: A hardware RAM tester has its own memory separate from the RAM
being tested, so every bit can be tested.  Also, a hardware RAM tester
can do things like fluctuate the supply voltage, briefly remove power
from the RAM, change the frequency it is running at, run extra current
through the memory to heat it up, and play around with other things
that are normally very tightly controlled (and not able to be changed)
in a computer.

The moral of the story is that most memory tests will be correct when
they say memory is bad (there are some exceptions; for example, memtest
might tell you your memory is bad if, for example, your CPU is actually
the part that is fried; the best way to tell would be to see if you
keep having the same memory error even with high-quality memory
installed).  However, software tests probably won't catch more than
about 5% of bad RAM due to the limitations of the environment.  The
hardware tester that I use probably catches around 75% or so, at a
price of around $5,000.  If you want to get closer to 100%, you can
spend $500,000 and get a tester with a variable temperature oven,
accuracy down to fractions of a nanosecond, and all that...  If you
really want to test memory even better, you have to know the internal
physical layout of the bits in the module, which is something only the
chip manufacturer knows.  But even all those improvements can't account
for all possible ways for memory to fail, just the most common ones.
The only true test of memory is to see if the computer crashes less
often, has fewer directory corruption problems, etc. if the memory is
removed.