[Ti] Installing a superdrive

Loren loren at flash.net
Thu Jan 1 09:36:18 PST 2004

> >> Many thanks for all the answers I received, both on and off list. I
> >> does appear that there are no companies here in The Netherlands
that
> >> will replace my combo drive with a superdrive.
> >

> >> So my main option will be to have an external dvd-burner.
> > []
> > You'll be much gladder. Superdrives-uhm-are overrated. An external
is a
> > lifetime faster to burn with.
> >
> Over rated? Depends on whether burning a DVD away from home/office is
> something one is going to do very often. A notebook is always a
balance
> between cost and convenience. Having the internal DVD saves me from
> carrying
> another external device when I *know* I'll be burning a DVD. It saves
me
> from having to keep an external unit at home and at my two offices.
And it
> saves the inconvenience of having to wait or scrounge up an external
> burner
> when it turns out I want to burn a DVD when I didn't expect to.

Yes, overrated in price and performance. Now, if you burn that many
DVD's at the home and the office, then you should buy two externals,
leave them each at the home and office, burn thrice as fast for less
money. And who burns DVD's anyways unless it's $productive? If so, then
a professional DVD setup should be invested in, and not depend on a
minimal solution designed for PB consumers, which is what Superdrive is.
Not only that, you should not be burning DVD's at the office. If you're
job requires it, they should have a setup at the office for you to
utilize.