[Ti] CD writing software that's smart?

Chris Olson chris at astcomm.net
Fri Jan 30 10:54:03 PST 2004

On Jan 30, 2004, at 9:33 AM, Robert Nicholson wrote:

> I am beginning to understand all the stories I've heard about mac
> zealots are all about.

Most of which is untrue.  Mac users are typically more productivity
oriented, creative types.  They don't care about what's under hood, how
it works, why it does what it does, as long as it works.  I resent the
term "Mac zealots".  We use these machines and software *because* of
the expectations of how a computer/software combination should work and
what it should do, and Apple caters to that market.  Somebody coming
from a linux background, for instance, will tend to be more interested
in the nuts and bolts.  That's more than likely what attracted that
person to linux in the first place.  I've seen the Mac platform bashed
by linux folks, just because it's *not* like linux and they don't
understand that it's *designed* to be different.

> Don't get my wrong I do admire what comes out of this company and as a
> NeXTSTEP/Openstep Programmer from way back I've only jumped on the
> band wagon since OSX. Considering I paid $169 for Panther (Aus
> pricing) I simply would have expected that software that allows me to
> backup my hard drive to CD wouldn't be tied to a subscription service

This is where you're focusing on a non-issue, Apple's Backup program,
which is tied to .Mac.  OS X has the tools in it already to back up
your hard drive to a CD.  You're a programmer, so you shouldn't have
any problems using tar/gnuzip to compress your data at the command
line, and burn it to a CD with Finder's built-in burning software.  If
you want to automate the process, take a look at AppleScript - it will
execute unix shell commands directly.  If you want further automation,
set up a cron job to archive your hard drive every day, or whatever -
the tools are all there.  Don't need .Mac.  Don't need Backup.  That's
why the Mac is so flexible - if you like doing it the "unix way", feel
free to indulge yourself.  If you want to do it the "Mac way", buy a
subscription to .Mac, enjoy the convenience, and learn to accept that
some stuff is built for Macs and we can enjoy it while the rest of the
world can't.

> I've not been convinced by any argument that it makes sense to tie
> Backup to .mac thru the optional use of the iDisk is a backup medium.
> Yes that's how it is and I probably cannot change it but that
> shouldn't stop me expressing my doubts about why it is.

I think your doubts possibly stem from either;
* Trying to voice an opinion that the Mac should be like Linux -
everything GPL'd and open, striving for cross platform formats that
just don't exist in the shadows of what dominates the industry.  But
the Mac isn't Linux and it has no aspirations of being like
Linux........

* Or possibly from a misunderstanding of what Mac users like.  Backup
is convenient.  It makes backups painless, easy, and it's tied to a
paid subscription service offered by Apple.  The painless, easy part is
what the Macintosh platform is all about.  Sure, we'd all probably like
.Mac and its perks to be free, but for what it costs, it's worth it for
many people.  You're possibly not one of those people because you don't
like it, don't trust it, or have different needs.  I don't think anyone
is trying to offer a convincing argument that it "makes sense" to tie
Backup to .Mac - Apple does that because they *can*, just like
Microsoft can tie IE to Windows.  But there *are* other options for
backing up data on the Mac, just like there's other options in Windows
browsers if you don't like IE.

And you're right - you can't change it.  It's the way it is.  There's
workarounds, like the links I posted that show how to set up your own
.Mac server so you can use Backup without a .Mac subscription.  But
please remember that Mac users love the convenience, integration, and
ease for which Macintosh systems are famous.  Not that they're perfect,
but the so-called "mac zealots" consider them to be better than the
alternatives.  And sometimes the features come with a price, like
Backup.  But just because it's not free or doesn't do what you want it
to, doesn't mean you *have* use it anyway.  There's many other options
that are just as viable, and that might work better for your needs.

I suppose it's wise to let the thread die.  But I would like to extend
an offer - if you'd like some pointers or help on how to set up your
own .Mac server (I've been there, done it), or write an AppleScript to
do backups to CD, or whatever, please feel free to contact me off-list.
  I use several methods for backing up data, including .Mac, rsync with
other offsite servers, and automated scripting.  I'd be glad to outline
some details of some of the Backup alternatives that I use.
--
Chris