[Ti] Monitor Callibration?

FWPHOTO fwphoto at adelphia.net
Mon Jul 5 13:18:45 PDT 2004

flipper,

> There's a wide range of choices, but the first thing to do is to use
> the setup Color builtin to the internal LCD:
>
> System Prefs-->Displays
> Click the 'Color' tab in 'Displays'
> Follow onscreen instructions for calibration
>
> That's the easiest way. The critical steps are 'white point' and
> contrast. Start with brightness up all the way.

Yep, I'll do that first. I kinda forgot it was there. Me bad. May very well
be all I need for the time being.

> The 'pro' way (or one of them), ...
>>> good stuff snipped <<<

At some point I may have to get back into the whole "digital color workflow"
issue again. I did that a bunch of years ago when I was heavy into scanning
chromes & printing them on my Epson. I was on a PC then, & used Colorblind's
ProveIt with the puck for monitor callibration & Horse's Matchlock Pro for
scanner/printer profiles. A pretty steep learning curve but it worked well
at the time. Never was able to get decent prints using archival inks,
though. A lot has changed since then. ;-)

> You can get around it by buying a chart (icc or binuscan,m etc,
> Pantone, whatever) and photo it, scan it, get a lab to scan it
> (highest possible res/quality) and then manually match it with
> Apple's onboard screen color calibration...etc. You'll end up with as
> close to What-You-See-IsWhat-You'll-Get, as possible.

If I were doning a lot of print work these days that'd probably be the
ticket. Most of the work I do now, though, is commercial photography that
ends up going to a really good designer who has a production guy (also very
good) do most her digital pre-pro. For print work from this camera I'll
probably end up using canned or custom ICC profiles.

I'll have to learn how to use some sort of chart with the digicam though.
Hmmm ...

Thanks for the reply!

Frank