[Ti] .DS_Store (was....need root help)

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Wed Jun 2 00:30:49 PDT 2004

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Glenn L. Austin wrote:
 . . .
> Personally, I don't like it, but then again I don't work on the Finder team
> so I don't know what all they put in there (beyond the view info).
 . . .

So if the .DS_Store file is just keeping state info about
the directory, then the question is just "What all
state do you want kept, where do you want to keep it, and
how much user access do you want to allow?".  Is it binary
(strings shows some nonsense strings) as an attempt at
security?

It seems to me that the open source movement, where you
make innards available to users who want, and include
interested people who can help, is an expression of the
humanistic attitude.  People who can play well with others.
Isn't Apple, with OSX, working toward opensourceness a
positive sign?

When I 1st was told about the thoughtful design that went
into early Apple & Macintosh stuff, especially the interface
and particularly the Human Interface Guidelines, it sounded
like people who were serious about playing well, and the
Guidelines were the basic playground politeness rules so
things worked well for everyone.  That's the sociological
understanding of what on a much wider scale common morality
is, for example.  But then, don't people put some blame for
Apple having gone into siege mentality on M$oft not playing
well on the wider scale of common morality?