[Ti] optimize drivees (was Dreamweaver)

b fl1pper at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 9 03:51:08 PDT 2004

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>At 18:20 -0400 8/6/04, b wrote:
>>It's pretty much up to the users to optimize their drives from time-to-time.
>
>and the best way to do that is ........
>
>Trevor

Hi Trevor,

As much as I don't want Norton on my Mac, I use their Speed Disk. It
only involves two files: The actual Speed Disk utility (app), and a
small 'Shared Library'. Perfectly harmless.

The importance of keeping 20% of one's drive 'clean', or 'free',
can't be stressed enough. Speed Disk isn't the only Defragmenting
software out there. Plus Optimizer (from Alsoft, the DiskWarrior
people), also does a great job.

It's a simple but lengthy process. None of the defraggers can be run
from the startup drive, so either a partition, a bootable second
drive, or a bootable CD with either Speed Disk or Plus Optimizer, is
required.

I run Speed Disk once a month, usually leaving it to do its thing
while I sleep. When I feel like really doing the job properly I will
run Apple's Disk Utility on the target drive, then run DiskWarrior to
optimize the Directory, then run Norton Speed Disk. And if I want the
silver merit badge, I'll run DW one more time after Speed Disk.

The fellow that wrote in re: programmers not paying attention to
optimizing and resources has a point, up to a point. The problem is:
None of the operating systems has given applications direct access to
resources (especially hardware) since Windows 98. (That's why people
like PC 'Gamers', and companies like the one I work for, which needs
privacy, lots of scanning, OCR, and inter-office networking, plus
heavy - i.e. 'classified-level'  - security) use 98, even though we
could afford newer ('better') operating systems.

Meanwhile, back 'on topic'. If you want to, or can, try out Speed
Disk, let me know. I can send it to you. I run it from an OS 9
partition on my PowerBook, but I do have OSX versions, as well.

~flipper