[Ti] AIM, iChat, etc

Yuta Hsu yhsu at mac.com
Mon Jun 28 06:28:18 PDT 2004

Well, I just ran a test by starting the firewall and blocking 5190 and
was able to log in using iChat and chat successfully.  I even blocked
port 4099 which is another AIM port, and was still able to chat.  I
think AIM has become a bit more flexible in finding ports to use.  I
know you can change the port in the AIM client.

Perhaps you should just block everything except for mail (port 25) and
http (port 80) and see if that works.  You could also try a 3rd-party
firewall interface such as BrickHouse.  It doesn't replace the built-in
firewall, but gives you a more detailed & robust GUI to it than the
System Pref.  Little Snitch is also another good app, and it's
iChatAgent blocking does work (I've tested it).  I get the feeling the
built-in firewall PrefPane doesn't quite do the job.

FYI, here's a list of ports I found.
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/app_port_list.htm#Messaging

Good luck!
Cheers,