[Ti] iChat and 10.3.3

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Sat Mar 20 22:31:17 PST 2004

At 15:44 -0600 20/3/04, Kynan Shook wrote:
>Glad to hear it's mostly working now...  I suppose there are a
>number of things you can try to see if you can get it to work a
>little better; adding memory can't hurt,

I have 1 Gb RAM on my 15.2" Al-book.  Memory Stick shows around 200
Mb of free rAM, under normal use, so I think that is about right for
me.

>  but instead of spending money, you can try some of the various
>other remedies:
>A simple reboot

I have re-booted several times

>Repairing permissions

I do it regularly with Cocktail or System Optimizer X

>Running Disk Utility

I do this regularly

>Running DiskWarrior - by far the best disk utility out there

I agree.  Separate post on this subject.

>Try creating a new user, see if the problems exist there too; if
>not, copy most of your user folder; I'd recommend leaving out
>~/Library/Preferences and anything else in ~/Library that you don't
>need (you'd probably want to keep some of it though, eg Mail prefs
>and storage).
>An archive and install can also make a difference.

Since all of the above have improved my speed, I do not currently
plan to try anything else (not broke, don't fix it philosophy).

AltiVec Fractal Carbon shows (a maximum of) 5.5 Gigaflops as my
current speed, and that seems pretty fair to me (about 4X as fast as
my previous Ti-500).

>Not all of these will make a difference for all problems, but that
>series of things should fix most software problems.  The only real
>thing that can't be fixed is if the user database gets messed up;
>that's the only thing not redone by a combination of a new user and
>an archive and install preserving users.

What are the symptoms of a messed up user database ?
How does this happen ?
What CAN we do about it ?
I think this could be very useful and helpful information for all Ti
(Al-)book owners, running OS X, if you have time to share it with us.

Trevor