"Check Pref Files." (was: iChat and 10.3.3)

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Sun Mar 21 12:36:36 PST 2004

At 11:48 -0500 21/3/04, John Griffin wrote:
>Dr. Trevor J. Hutley typed this message on 3/19/04 2:20 PM:
>

>>  Is this another update needed or a stability issue ?
>>
>>  Now that I have installed 10.3.3, I am unable to launch iChat (no
>>  Version shown, dated 12 August 2003) anymore.  After one bounce in
>>  the Dock, I get the Crash Report, the contents of which are appended.
>>
>>  It seems to be looking for someone....!
>>
>>  I have made no known changes to iChat for several weeks.
>>
>>  How is iChat for everyone else who made the upgrade ?
>
>This may or may not be relevant, but I just downloaded a utility called
>"Check Pref Files." It goes through user and system preferences and spots
>any that are corrupt and gives the option of trashing them.
>
>With any applications that refuse to launch, I always suspect the Preference
>files for that particular program and start searching them out. With this
>new utility the whole job is made so much easier. On its first run it
>spotted 5 Prefs files on my disk that were garbage.

John - I had also downloaded that utility and everything checked out fine.

Now that I have run the Combo 10.3.3 update, installed QT6.5, iChat
2.1beta, repaired the permissions, run Systsem Optimizer X, Cocktail,
and rebooted several times, everything seems to be fine.

My only remaining issue is in Eudora 6.1b4, where I see the spinning
beach ball quite often during just typing text.  That is probably a
beta issue.

Otherwise I am now in good shape.

regards, Trevor