[Ti] Safari cannot find the internet plug-in

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Thu Mar 25 13:27:31 PST 2004

At 20:25 +0000 25/3/04, Tarik Bilgin wrote:
>On 25 Mar 2004, at 18:02, Dr. Trevor J. Hutley wrote:
>

>>I am running Safari 1.2.1 (V 125.1) under OS 10.3.3 on my Al-15" Powerbook.
>>
>>I was trying to access a music video on a website and I got the message:
>>
>>	Safari cannot find the internet plug-in
>>
>>	The page has the content of the MIME type "application/x-oleobject".
>>	Because you don't have a plug-in installled for this MIME type,
>>	this content can't be displayed.
>
>OK this looks to be some kind of streaming video content.
>
>This can either be viewed via a plugin or via an
>application. since it says oleobject -- I will
>guess that this is a Windows Media File so you
>will need:
>
>Windows Media Player for the mac to view it. You
>can download it for free from somewhere in the
>vicinity of www.microsoft.com. (this is the
>application that just got M$ a ¤500m fine at the
>European courts.)
>
>Try downloading this and then viewing it again.
>You may need to tell Safari that the "helper
>application" it needs is WM player.

Tarik -I also suspected that it is WMP file/content.
However, I already have WMP 9.0 installed, for many months.

As I said, I thought I was fully configured.

HOW do I tell Safari to use WMP ?

Now I am suspecting the web-page, having read this:

	Using the <Embed> Element
	to Embed Media in a Web Page

  	Although HTML DTD validates <object> only
in order to embed media  objects
	in a web page, using this <object>
element entails a  cross-browser limitation. For
	instance, if you want to present media in
any  type of browsers (Netscape and
	Opera don't support Active X controls),
you have  to incorporate an <embed> tag
	between the pair of <object>  tags.

I think this means that if you do not follow this
advice, other browsers (iother than Internet
exploder) cannot interpret the code.