[Ti] New 1.5ghz Powerbook up and running

Fred fred at mindstate.com
Mon May 3 19:24:36 PDT 2004

On 3.5.2004 18:59, "P. H. Adams" <phadams at mac.com> wrote:

> On May 4, 2004, at 12:01 AM, John Griffin wrote:
>
>> I should also warn that the airport signal strength is less than what
>> one
>> might expect. From my desk with my 1ghz Tibook, I got an 80% signal.
>> Now I
>> can't get close to 70% - it's more like 65% most of the time.
>>
>> Does anyone know where the antenna are supposed to be on this edition
>> of the
>> Albook?
>>
> I've also heard that the internal antenna connection sometimes works
> its way loose at needs to be reset. I've seen where this is common on
> newly delivered computers, as it happens during shipping. Anybody got
> any details on where to access this connection? Might be worth a try.
>
> --
> P. H. "Patch" Adams
> phadams at mac.com

Once you remove the top of the ALBook, as if you were going to replace your
HD, you will see the airport extreme card cage...near that is a coupling you
can check to see if it is connected properly and within the cage there is a
flex cable that could be checked as well to make sure it is positioned in
the cage properly.  From the coupling the ant wire runs to the rear of the
book, to the clutch assembly for the lid, in there is a board that both the
Bluetooth and airport antennas are attached to. From here the wires run up
the sides of the rear of the lid case.  A piece of tape holds that board.
If you have crimped wires anywhere along this route, it will impede and
lessen your reception.  And if the connectors are loose. To see that though
you have to disassemble the lid...not a good idea if under warranty,
obviously.  So I would contact apple care and tell them your reception is
less...and they might allow an inspection to ck the wires, etc
Hope that helped.
Cheers