Internal modem

heeday at mac.com heeday at mac.com
Tue May 4 08:35:47 PDT 2004

on 2004/05/04 10:03 PM, PowerBook G4 Titanium List wrote:
> Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 10:06:52 +1000
> Subject: Internal modem
> From: Phil Beresford <phil at philberesford.com>
(snip)
> Apple's TIL has this to say about International users:
>> Replacing International Modems After you have replaced a modem in Europe or
>> Asia, open the software utility Modem  Country Selector and verify that the
>> modem is set to the correct country. Modem Country  Selector is located in
>> the
>> Apple Extras folder on your hard drive or can be downloaded as  part of the
>> Apple Modem Updater software bundle at http://asu.info.apple.com.
>
> I don't have the 'software utility Modem'. I am running 10.3.1 Is there
> anything I need to do/not do after installing the new modem to get it to
> work outside of the US?

Dear Phil,

The "Modem Country Selector" utility software (version 2.1) can be
downloaded as part of "Apple Modem Updater 2.0":
(note: there is a version 1.2 available on the web, but this does not run
correctly in Mac OS 9.2.2 on my 400MHz "Mercury" Ti Book, so avoid it)

In a separate Japanese TIL article, it is mentioned that the "Modem Country
Selector" will not run as a Classic application in Mac OS X, so you have to
reboot into Mac OS 9 (and your Ti667 can, lucky you):
http://til.info.apple.co.jp/cgi-bin/WebObjects/TechInfo.woa/wa/showTIL?id=30
743

However, I would just go ahead and install the modem (and I don't know how
hard this can get) and try to use it first, as from what the above Japanese
TIL article says, all the "Modem Country Selector" does is to set the
country code value in the appropriate register, i.e. even without the "Modem
Country Selector," you can set the country code.

One reason is that the whole "Apple Modem Updater 2.0" is old (year 2000),
and is supposed to be for the "PowerBook G3 Series," or the Wall Streets and
PDQs.

Also, "country codes" *may* be more about legality than technology. While I
never have made a modem connection in Australia, I never used the "Modem
Country Selector" for making calls in at least 8 or so countries.

If the initial tries do not go well, then it may be time to try the "Modem
Country Selector."

Good Luck,
Heeday at mac.com