[Ti] 1.5ghz Powerbooks: Where is the PMU button?

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Wed May 12 12:17:06 PDT 2004

Command-Control-Power is and always has been the preferable way to
reset your computer.  On old ADB Macs, it sent a hardware reset signal.
  USB doesn't have this reset pin, so it has to emulate this reset
(which means that if the computer crashes, it probably won't work -
tell me, what's the use of a reset switch that doesn't work when you
most need it? ;-)).  PowerBooks, both pre- and post-USB, have always
used Command-Control-Power for reset, as the connector is over a
proprietary bus.  Anyway, you should NEVER be using the PMU reset
button to reboot the computer.  I think part of the reason why they
moved it under the keyboard (and now made it a keyboard command - much
like it was a number of years ago) is because people were using that
instead of command-control-power.  So, moral of the story: if your
computer crashes, use command-control-power.

I'm almost tempted to not mention the PMU reset combo, just because the
vast majority of people will never need it anyway...  But I suppose
I'll be nice.  ;-) Shut down your computer, then press
Shift-Control-Option-Power briefly, being sure to not press any other
keys such as Fn.  Do not press it a second time, as that can crash the
Power Management Unit.  Wait 10 seconds, and turn the computer back on.
  The only time you should use the PMU reset is if your computer is not
powering on, is only partially powering on, is having problems with
either the battery or AC, has problems sleeping or waking, etc.  It is
not intended to use for resetting after a normal crash, or for
otherwise powering off the computer.

Another alternative to Command-Control-Power is to just hold down the
power button for about 5 seconds.  Instead of rebooting, the computer
will shut down forcibly.