Off_Topic: Are there OSX viruses?

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Wed May 19 15:11:25 PDT 2004

No, there really aren't any OS X virii.  There are a few trojans
(including the proof of concept MP3 trojan from a month or two ago -
just showing that you could disguise an application as an MP3 file;
also an AppleScript trojan masquerading as an Office 2004 Public Beta
installer that runs rm -rf ~ I believe, deleting your entire home
directory), but nothing that has been able to spread itself, AFAIK.
Most of those things are just social engineering, nothing more.  If you
go to a place like Network Associates (the makers of Virex) and do a
search for Mac in their virus database, most of what comes up is Office
Macros (for Windows, not Mac), and then a few old Mac virii.  You know,
the ones that say "requires OS 4.1 or higher to run" and things like
that.  There's also the old Autostart worm for the Mac, but that's
about the most recent real threat that I can remember.
Search for yourself:
http://www.networkassociates.com/us/security/vil.htm