[Ti] Browser Troubles

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Mon Nov 22 22:05:55 PST 2004

On Nov 22, 2004, at 11:45 PM, JFL wrote:

> Safari used to work with the sprintpcs picture site, but for some
> reason now it can't get past the password screen without
> doubling-back. Firefox works nicely (at least for this instance). And
> 'tis free. Sad that you have to keep at least 2-3 browsers to hog up
> precious hd space to do what one browser should, but alas...

That has nothing to do with Java.  It's Cascading Style Sheets (CSS).
Remember, Safari is a fairly new browser undergoing constant
development.  I've found it to be not only the best, but also the best
integrated browser for Mac OS X.  It works fine on ~99% of the sites I
use or visit, and for those rare occasions where it doesn't, I fire up
Netscape.  Right now, v 1.2.4 could use some improvement in CSS
handling, and will get this when Tiger is released.  You can refer to
the current support level for CSS in Safari here:
http://developer.apple.com/internet/safari/safari_css.html

What's really sad is that Safari is a standards-compliant browser,
while we have many website developers who develop to Microsoft
standards.  And Microsoft standards are somewhat different.  How does
Bill Gates change a light bulb?  He doesn't  He declares darkness the
new standard.
--
Chris