[Ti] Advice Re: Security Update/!st Time App Launch Issue

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Sun Sep 26 11:12:50 PDT 2004

On Sep 26, 2004, at 12:47 PM, b wrote:

> Question is two-fold: Was coreservicesd the appropriate service to add
> to the arguments,as far as the update in question was concerned, and
> what might have been the cause of the mystery free space
> disappearance?

Well, kind of.  Kill coreservicesd and icons start disappearing all
kinds of weird things.

Executing /System/Library/CoreServices/coreservicesd as root fires it
up after its dead.  It's probably better to:
ps -e | grep coreservicesd
to identify it first, then send it a -HUP signal so you don't hose the
look of your desktop while you're trying to figure out how to restart
it :-)

On your runaway, you can probably identify the errant process with top.
  I'm guess a logging daemon went wild because it got alarmed that you
perhaps tried to restart a system process that didn't restart.
Anything that eats several gigs in several minutes has to pulling major
cpu.  Haven't you ever heard the old Unix admin's last resort?  "kill
-9 them all and let inetd sort it out"
--
Chris