[Ti] VGA Question...

Bill Reburn billreburn at shaw.ca
Thu Apr 28 15:20:14 PDT 2005

On 4/28/05 9:08 AM, "John" tapped out:

>> Apple LCD 17" display? That resolution might be a limitation of the
>> monitor.
>> CRT can go waaaaay higher. I still live by the CRT. LCD is nice.. But
>> just
>> not there yet for fully accurate print and design work. VERY CLOSE
>> THOUGH!
>
> Someone here at work bought two Dell Ultrasharp 19" displays for the
> video editing suite. I tried one on my Ti, and compared it to some
> generic NEC displays we had - pretty close to color, as far as I'm
> concerned (though I'd have to compare it to some printed pieced we did
> to see how well it matches, and see how low of a tint it could
> display).

Yeah, video is completely different. I have 3 different colour spaces
between my 20" LCD, 19" CRT and Ti display. Of all, for print work, the CRT
kills them all. I prefer to work on the LCD, so easy on the eyes.. But
Whites just aren't White enough and LCD's because of their liquid crystal
cell-based technology choke on small print and certain elements when not
zoomed in closely enough.

> Anyways, I'm looking to the "future" and plan to get a 15" Al when the
> next school season comes along. But I'd like to get the display now, as
> my Ti's screen is feeling a bit cramped (I use two 19" CRT's at
> work...) when I work at home.
>
> Will the Ti support 1680 x 1050? And will I have to close the lid?
>
> Thanks!

I believe so, but couldn't say for sure - shoot an email at Apple.. Or
perhaps cruise through the Apple website product section, I am sure the info
is on the specs for that computer. Sorry I haven't been around enough Al's
to know the answer to that one. But, if my oollld Ti (550mhz)  with 16MB of
video ram can do 1600x1200 without breaking a sweat, I would believe the Al
will have no problems with that resolution with it's ATI Mobile Radeon 9700
with 64MB's!

Bill Reburn, MGDC MB Chapter