[Ti] Airport range

Jim Freeman jpfreeman at mac.com
Mon Jan 10 19:44:44 PST 2005

I'm trying to improve the Airport coverage in my apartment. I just
moved my Airport Express base station into the living room to take
advantage of the stereo and to locate it more centrally (AX + DSL). I
still have good internet access with my 12" PBG4 1.33 ghz in my office
and just about everywhere else, but my wife still has intermittent
access in her office with her dual usb iBook. This is the latest
configuration. I've tried several others.

What's interesting this time is that my PowerBook works just fine in
her office. With both laptops side by side on her desk, I get 2-3 bands
in the menu bar airport icon, while she gets 0-1.

Could this be a problem with airport extreme not being quite backward
compatible? In a previous configuration I had my old gray 1st gen ABS
set up and she still had lousy coverage in her office, although the old
ABS was further from her office than the Airport Express is now.

Could her Airport card be "wearing out" or something like that? She has
decent access when she's a bit closer to the base station. Do I need
another Airport Express to "extend the range"? Would a full fledged
Airport Extreme base station have a longer range?

Jim