[Ti] Some one Hacked me!

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Wed Jan 12 07:59:51 PST 2005

>This is a very dangerous assumption.  Macintosh computers can happen, and probably has.  I hardly consider the viruses and trojan horse programs, or spyware akin to being hacked - being hacked is very unlikely, but if your Mac is out there on the public wan (the internet), and it is not protected by any means, it may be vulnerable to a multitude of attacks.  You could be running apache, and say that some one out there scans your subnet, finds your host, and then does a port scan.  It finds that you're running a web server, AFP (apple file sharing), perhaps Windows file sharing, etc.  Lets say that any of those applications, or services has some vulnerability, like maybe a simple buffer overrun susceptibility.

Beep. Wrong answer. You are thinking PC here. Show me where the Mac is susceptible to this.

>The hacker then tries some readily available program or script to clog that service, and make it crash, and for some reason, the crash now gives the hacker a shell on your system, or worse, the ability to gain root all because lets say samba, or apache, both third party applications commonly run on unix hosts, has some poor error handling routine that gives entry to the host.
>
>This is a simplistic scenario that I've described, but much more realistic that the very dangerous attitude that Apple computers don't or can't get hacked.  They can indeed.  Be careful.

You've written a great spyware novel. Let's talk again after it has happened to a Mac user rather than fear the unlimited possibilities that you can read about on the net. If you have a link for news of this happening, I'd like to see it.

--

Robert Ameeti

Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.

- Oscar Wilde