[Ti] Re: IBM introduces new PowerPC processors

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Sat Jul 9 19:41:13 PDT 2005

On Jul 9, 2005, at 7:17 PM, Henry Kalir wrote:

> I say - it's a GREAT day for long suffering Mac loyalists like myself
> who had to endure that narrow mindset which drove the Mac market share
> to near zero levels.

I hate to burst your bubble, but Apple is going to be competing with
the likes of Dell with a n-series workstation that comes with 64-bit
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - plug and play, ready to go for $882:
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/precn_380n?
c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

Or you can get a new HP notebook with 64-bit Mandrake Linux $1,000
cheaper than a comparable PowerBook.  And all the 64-bit software is
already there for linux (with the exception of OO.org which runs fine
in 32-bit compatibility mode):
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2004/040803a.html

All Apple is giving its developers to work with is a 32-bit operating
system.  They're going to get blown right out of the water by cheaper
Windows-powered machines on the low end, and optimized 64-bit linux
systems on the high end.  In my estimation Apple had better come up
with a different plan to compete in the commodity market like real
quick.  If they don't, they'll find out what zero market share means,
just like several PC manufacturers did who were bigger than Apple, and
who are no longer with us.
--
Chris