[Ti] A real world comparison

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Sat Jun 11 10:43:55 PDT 2005

On Jun 11, 2005, at 11:59 AM, Robert Ameeti wrote:

> Can't we agree that the Dev boxes are not indicative of what Apple
> will be shipping to consumers?

I can't.  Device, chipset, hardware drivers, etc., all have to be
ported and optimized.  Think about people like Alchemy who have TV
Tuner cards and such for Mac.  You simply can't pull that rug out from
under the developers to ship some other configuration at the last
moment.  If Apple did that you can be fairly certain the Mac platform
would be abandon in short order.

Intel is Intel - chipsets and everything, and x86 is x86.  The
architecture is what it is.  Apple is going to be shipping PC hardware
with a specific set of device drivers included in Mac OS X itself for
the hardware that comes with the boxes (built-in ethernet, WiFi,
etc..).  There will be little difference between the dev boxes and
production units, short of making changes that include Intel's hardware
roadmap which the rest of the x86 world will get at the same time.
--
Chris