[Ti] Need cool air vs. heat Advice

Jeff Porten civitan at jeffporten.com
Mon Jun 13 08:30:41 PDT 2005

On Jun 12, 2005, at 11:23 PM, ~flipper wrote:

> Both of my Powerbooks, (the Ti-667, and even moreso, the Al-1.25
> 15') are running extra warm these days. I live in an un-air
> conditioned place. (I don't recommend it).

It sounds to me like you're looking for an excuse to buy an A/C.  If
not, here are some cheaper options:

1) first, get Temperature Monitor <http://www.bresink.de/osx/
TemperatureMonitor.html> and get an actual CPU temperature.  Compare
with rated operating temperatures for those machines (note: *not*
ambient temperatures).  That tells you if you're running too hot.

2) best way to cool off the laptops cheaply is with a fan that
exhausts hot air away from them.  Note: this will warm up the rest of
the room (and you).

3) if they're still running too hot, then go to Energy Saver and slow
down the CPU and other components.  Energy saved is energy not
converted to heat.

Best,
Jeff