[Ti] Question about aging screen

Bill Planey mac.info at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 14 13:04:55 PDT 2005

My TiBook 400, still working great and running Tiger, is having a screen
problem. The left third of the screen is getting very red, and it is more
noticeable in a darkened room - at that point the whole thing looks quite
red, though the red is strongest immediately after coming back from sleep or
the screen saver.

I wonder if something I did may have caused this:  That left side of the
computer's screen sits about 8 inches from the right side of a metal filing
cabinet. Inside the wall of that cabinet was a large doughnut shaped magnet,
which I had extracted from a desk paperweight designed to keep paper clips
at hand. The magnet is fairly powerful.

Now I know the risks of putting a magnet near a hard drive (and in this
case, the HD is about 18 inches from where the magnet was) and I also know
that a magnet can screw with a CRT, but could it screw with an LCD?  Or is
what I am describing something that is common to these 1st generation TiBook
screens as they age?

Thanks,
Bill Planey