[Ti] Backing up using ip over firewire.

Peter Krug pkrug at mac.com
Fri Mar 4 10:36:22 PST 2005

On Mar 4, 2005, at 1:26 PM, Robert Nicholson wrote:

> So,
>
> I've got an external hard drive with two firewire ports that I use for
> backups but I want to backup my other powerbook over a network
> connection. I was thinking that ip over firewire would be the fastest
> way to connect these two machines.
>
> The delimna I have is that on the AiBook I have a firewire 400 port
> and a firewire 800 port and on the Tibook I have a firewire 400 port.
> The external enclosure allows me to daisy chain firewire ports so
> perhaps I could plug in the other computer to that second port but I'm
> worried about doing that and I'm wondering if it's better to use the
> firewire 800 port as a second firewire 400 port from the computer.
>
> Presumably Apple make a cable that allows you to use the firewire 800
> port with a firewire 400 device.

http://www.usbfirewire.com/fcable96.html - This is a 9 pin FW800 to 6
pin FW400 cable.  Is your Ti a late model with Gigabit ethernet?  If
so, you might save money and time by networking via Cat5e Ethernet
Cable (you won't really get 1000 Mbps, but it can get close, much
faster than FW400).

Peter

A little computer haiku:
I can't remember
the last time I restarted
I love OS X

This message sent with Mail.app 1.3 on Mac OS X 10.3.8
pkrug at mac.com