[Ti] Tiger Snarled my Ti

Scott Harder seharder at efg.com
Fri May 13 13:43:50 PDT 2005

List--

My Tiger install initially went well  (upgrade install; Ti 800 768MB
ram).  Things overall seemed zippier, dashboard worked well, and
spotlight had things indexed and searchable.  I also had great wireless
reception (Airport extreme) and VPC 6.1 worked well except for the
virtual switch.

Then I continued my typical workflow pattern: MS Excel (without last two
updates) working with fairly large spreadsheets, maybe a couple open at
a time; occasional mail checks with Mailsmith.  Nothing too extreme.
Nothing else open.  No dashboard consultations or spotlight searches.

Suddenly, Excel hung when saving my spreadsheets.  I mean, HUNG.  Total
machine freeze.  Pressing and holding the power button was the only way
out.

Repair disk revealed nothing.  Repair permissions revealed no issues.
Ran periodics in terminal and behaviour continued.  Since then, the OS
has declined.  When attempting to remove and reload Office, the machine
would not even copy the app from the CD.

Time to wipe the disk and start over.  Perhaps I need to install the MS
updates.

Is anyone getting this kind of Office04-related behaviour?

Scott Harder