[Ti] Cocktail 365

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Mon Nov 21 17:32:34 PST 2005

On Nov 21, 2005, at 6:10 PM, Mikael Byström wrote:

> yes, the alternative OS & hardware combinations are so much better...

Almost two months ago I bought a new ThinkPad Z-series with Windows
XP in it.  The main reason for purchase was the price (cheaper than a
new PowerBook and they give me a PowerBook to use at work anyway),
and to run some Windows-based data acquisition and logging software
on it.

At first it was good, then it started having problems.  The DVD drive
was replaced three times to date, and it still won't burn CD's.  I
installed all the anti-whatever software that my Windows-using
friends recommended, however that made it run slow.  So slow, in
fact, that it now takes it over 5 minutes just to shut down, and
about that amount of time to become useable once I log in on it.
Meanwhile I shoot down popups on the screen like some sort of video
game because the thing feels this need to tell me about everything
it's doing.  I can't even empty the Recycle Bin without some popup
asking me if I'm sure I know WTF I'm doing.  I plug in my LaCie Big
Disk (1 TB) Firewire drive, formatted with an NTFS partition, and it
crashes - total blue screen.  But only about half the time -
sometimes I can get the FW drive to work with it.

I've used PowerBooks for years.  I still have my first PowerBook
180.  My new ThinkPad reduced my productivity so much that it
couldn't compare to my (now sold) PowerBook G4/800 in overall speed.
Saturday, my wife and I went to the Apple Store in the Twin Cities
and bought me a new 15"/1.67.  I'm running Windows XP in VirtualPC on
the new PowerBook (with networking turned off for VPC).  My WinCorsa
data logger is actually *faster* in the VPC emulator than running it
native on the Intel Centrino machine was.

--
Chris