[Ti] Superdrive dual-layer?

Fred fred at mindstate.com
Fri Sep 30 19:20:54 PDT 2005

> From: Hector Luna <polonius19 at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Ti] Superdrive dual-layer?
>
> I just bought a 1.5 GHz 15" Powerbook and I can't tell if the
> Superdrive supports dual layer burning.
>
> System profiler IDs the drive as MATSHITA DVD-R   UJ-845E, w/ a DMP2
> firmware rev.
>
> I'm starting to suspect its not, but I can't verify that. Does anyone
> on the list know?

With the Apple firmware no.  If you get an 845 from somewhere like OWC with
the straight factory firmware, yes it does.  I installed one in my Ti 1
GHz...works great.

There is no firmware flash available yet for the 845 drive, but work is
being done on this so that there will be both a full factory firmware
version you can flash it to and a region free version as well.  There will
also be, as usual, a firmware flash to return it to Apple specs.

Cheers
Fred