[Ti] reload firmware (was:G4 667 Sleep Issue)

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Sat Apr 8 11:39:18 PDT 2006

Well, I haven't used it often - and I used to work at an Apple
Authorized Service Provider, so it's not like I didn't have a lot of
opportunities to try it.  Basically, I'd say that if there's
something that would lead you to believe there are hardware problems,
it might be worth a try.  I'd like to hear back if it did anything
for the sleep issue...  It might also be worth testing if a computer
isn't booting, although there probably aren't many cases where the
computer will power on enough to reload firmware, but not enough to
boot.

I believe the key combo will be whatever is normally used on the
machine to install a firmware update.  This might be just holding
power, command and power, or the interrupt button and power.

I wouldn't try it unless it's your absolute last hope; as in, your
next step is to send it in to Apple to get repaired.  Ideally, it
shouldn't be a problem, but if something goes wrong, I suppose it
could leave your computer unable to boot.  Specifically, power
outages could be very detrimental.  The only times I used it is when
I'm already planning on replacing the logic board to fix some
problem, and it's one last thing to try on the off chance that it works.

Basically what I'm saying is - you'll almost certainly never need to
use it.  ;-)