[Ti] Is there a trick to replacing a hard drive?

paulatx1 at aol.com paulatx1 at aol.com
Thu Apr 20 19:20:42 PDT 2006

Jerry,
    Last month  I upgraded the harddrive in my 800 MHz Ti with no
problem.  (I installed a 100 G  Seagate  Ultra ATA/100 5400 rpm.)
When I looked on the web for your harddrive, I didn't find any
information on it.  Not by Google; not on the Toshiba website; not at
Accelerate your Mac.com  [xlr8yourmac.com]    Did you buy a used drive?

    Assuming the drive itself is good, there are probably only 2 things
that can go wrong.  Either you don't get the cabling seated on the
harddrive and on the board   or  the jumper settings are set wrong.   I
just used the factory default settings on my new drive and it worked
fine.  If you open it again, check to make sure everything is really
seated snugly and then check the jumper settings.  Set to master, not
slave, not cable select.
     The only other thing I can think to try would be to initializing
the drive again.  Boot from your CD, get into the Disk Utility, See if
you can click on the icon that says Partition.  If you can't  (or if it
does not appear)  try clicking on the icon for the CD you booted from.
(Don't worry, you can't erase it or format over it.)  Once it sees the
CD, see if  Disk Utility can see the new  drive.  If so, click on it
and you have it made.
     Good luck.
               Paula