[Ti] Titanium Life Expectancy

FWPHOTO fwphoto at adelphia.net
Mon Feb 20 05:58:02 PST 2006

I've got an 800MHz TiG4 PB that I got 9/2002. I *love* it but it's starting
to show signs of getting older.

It's a daily use machine that gets taken pretty good care of. It's always in
a padded sleave for carry, I use a keyboard protector, etc. It's in terrific
shape, but ...

Now some things are starting to go. The screen seems to be getting a bit
darker. My HD is making noise & my Mac tech says it's probably on the way
out (I believe him). And now, just yesterday, the left hinge broke away from
the screen. No, I wasn't abusing it, it just broke.

My laptop is a "mission critical" device for me so I have to figure out what
to do sooner than later. Do I put my $s into fixing this one? Looks like
$200 to have the hinge repaired & depending on the HD maybe $150 - $200
(I'll install it myself). So, $500 later I have what, a 4 year old TiG4 PB?

I really don't have the cash for a new one right now either. (As if any of
us do. ;-) If push comes to shove, I'll probably have to buy it on "time",
either through Apple or float a credit card for awhile. :-(  The thought of
either makes me cringe.

I guess I'd just appreciate any opinions as to whether spending the $s on
this PB is a good idea or just throwing good $s after bad. Also, is there
anything I'm not thinking about like somewhere that takes trade-ins or some
place that does a reasonably inexpensive overall refurbishing?

Thanks,

Frank Wiewandt